Friday, January 8, 2010

Peas, carrots, and prunes




Jade has been eating solids for about 2 1/2 months now and I have made it all!! I have not bought one jar. I got a baby food cookbook from a friend and I love it! It is so fun for me to make it all and it is so much cheaper, and healthier than buying it by the jar. One batch of peas will last you forever! I make a big batch and then freeze it in ice cube trays so everyday I just take out one cube and it's the perfect serving size. So far I have made butternut squash, peas, sweet potatoes, prunes, green beans, carrots, apricots, and pears. Her favorites are the prunes, and carrots.

Here is the recipe for the butternut squash:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds.

Put squash, cut side down, in a baking pan. Pour water into pan to come 1/4 inch up the sides of the squash. Roast until tender when pierced with a fork, 45-1hour, depending on size. Let cool.

Scoop out flesh and puree in food processor until smooth. Add water, breast milk, or formula to thin to a consistency your baby can handle. (I use the water left in the roasting pan)

To store- in refrigerator for 3 days, freeze up to 3 months.


babies enjoy!

3 comments:

Taryn said...

I had no idea you were making all of Jade's food! So impressive. Maybe this is my answer to getting Macy to like food! Maybe she just wants the real stuff. I'll have to get some of the other recipes from you!!

Cindy said...

Good for you! I made some baby food for Andrew, but also bought some of it. What's the name of baby food book you used? I'd be interested in checking it out!

Janice Burrows said...

Jade's face doesn't look to thrilled i think a big mac would make her smile.