Sunday, August 29, 2010

bye bye paci


Last night I decided to go for it and take the pacifier away. They say to make sure that it's gone before 18 months and if you don't do it before then to wait until they are 3! She is only 15 months but I thought it's going to miserable anytime so I might as well get it over with. She only has it when she sleeps but she does love it so I was very nervous. I cut the top of one and gave it to her and told her that they were all done because she knows that word. She kept trying to put it in her mouth and twist it around to make it work. When she realized that she was not getting any ones that worked she started the screaming. Now, I have done a lot of research and have lots of experience with sleep training so I was prepared for what could be hours of screaming. Jade screamed for only 15 min and then just laid quietly playing with her sock for an hour and then fell asleep. I could tell she was so tired and wanted to sleep she just didn't know how without the paci. It is weird to think that for her entire life she has ALWAYS fallen asleep with it in her mouth and now she would have to learn to do without. She slept the whole night with no cries and woke up at her normal time. Sunday is a bad day for day #2 because her naps always get messed up because of church so hopefully today will go as well as last night. This morning when she saw her broken paci crawled over and picked it up and kept saying, "all done!" Nap #1 starts in 20 min so wish us luck!

2 comments:

Taryn said...

I'm so glad it went so well! That will be such a good feeling to just know that it's over and done with. I'll join you...but probably not for another 3 months :)

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

GOOD LUCK!! Stick to your guns. We tried when Spencer was the same age, he cried so loud and so long at night our poor neighbors would bang on the wall. Babies + apartments = NO FUN!