Friday, March 18, 2011

Maui-Day 1 & 2

We just got home from our trip to Maui!! It was perfect! To follow up with my last post, it didn't rain at all! We did not see one drop! We were able to go with our great friends the McCooks!! I appoligize to anyone who has already read Taryn's post of our trip. Most of the pictures are the same and I might have done some copy and pasting of her posts. She just wrote it so well I though I might as well not take the time to write everything all out again. :)


Our plane arrived around noon on Tuesday and after picking up our rental car, our first stops were Kmart and Costco. We were all so hungry because they didn't feed us on the plane so our first meal in Hawaii was a good old Costco hot dog. We then hurried to check in at the Honua Kai resort on Kaanapali Beach.
We explored the resort and headed to downtown Lahaina for dinner!
The next morning we headed off on our first excursion to bike 23 miles down Mt. Haleakawa, a dormant volcano. A couple of friends had recommended doing this, and it did not disappoint. At first I could not stop screaming. It was pretty scary because you get going so fast and it's a windy two way highway with cars zooming past you. But soon enough I was loving it! All of us agree that it was one of our favorite activities of the week!
Taryn and I had brought jackets to wear, but left them in the car before our shuttle took off, thinking we wouldn't need them. After all, when we asked what we should wear, the company didn't say anything about warm clothing. Plus, no one else on our shuttle was wearing anything but short sleeves and it was already very hot when we left early in the morning. So, off we went, up and up the mountain, higher and higher. When we stepped out of the shuttle, our bodies were instantly covered with goosebumps and we couldn't stop shaking! And that's when the rest of the shuttle pulled their jackets out of their backpacks :) Lucky for us, two very nice men gave us their jackets that they didn't need and we were good to go. If I did not have that jacket I would have died. I could barley stand outside I was so cold. If I had to bike down the mountain with the wind blowing on my face it would have been miserable. I'm so grateful for the big parachute jacket!
Yes, Taryn and I are frolicking in the field. How could we not??

Haha!! This picture is so funny. It's me coming down the hill and the jacket that I was wearing would fill up with air and I would look like I had a parachute on my back!

I totally recommend this activity!! Since being home a friend of mine said she knows someone who ended up in the ER after falling on this bike ride. It was pretty dangerous but I would still do it again. After we were done, we got some lunch, rented some snorkel gear and found an awesome little beach that had plenty of fish, a couple of sea turtles, and even a shark! Dan was the only one who saw it and later found out it wasn't harmful but it was 6 feet long! I'm so glad that I didn't see it! We ended the night by getting some pizza and eating it in the hot tub back at our hotel. Such a fun day.

2 comments:

Juliann said...

Such fun!!! You guys look like you could be contestants on the Bachelor in the helicopter! haha. The bike ride sounds awesome!

Kim said...

what a great trip!! so glad you were safe. i texted jules to see if she had heard from you. glad it was a good trip. i HAVE TO do that bike ride one day. someday richard and i will go to hawaii together!

love the picture of jade. she gets cuter and cuter!